On Saturday, we began the claymation portion of our class. Students were assigned groups and they met to discuss story ideas, develop characters for the story, storyboard the action, and designed the characters. On Monday, we built the wire-frame armatures for the 3D models and began with paper and tape to add lightweight bulk to the figures and then moved into the clay. The students start out with scratch clay (junk, previously used clay) and then layered on the good color clay to model out the final character.
A two wall, foamcore set was also designed and constructed. Today we begin shooting the animation. We have roughly 3 minutes to shoot, so this is planned to take today and tomorrow. On Thursday, we move all animation video into the Beta computer lab and the students will begin post production processing. I’ll get some photos posted today.